Starting a blog can be a daunting task… you have to learn a lot of new skills, while tackling what seems to be a never-ending to do list. I have found that breaking projects into smaller, more manageable pieces makes things go a lot smoother and helps me overcome that little bit of procrastination that’s always there (I’m sure you can relate).
I put off starting my blog for weeks not only because things would be “official” so to speak, but I also thought it would be time consuming and expensive. So I’m going help you break this project into smaller pieces so you can set up your blog without spending hours upon hours of doing research trying to figure out the “how” of starting a blog.
I will not only save you time, but money as well. I’m a comparison shopper by nature and I like to get my money’s worth out of a product, so I’ve done my research and chosen what I consider to be the best products for blogging. Today I am going to show you how to purchase your domain name (web address) and set up web hosting for your blog in just 3 simple steps.
Step 1: Think of a name you would like to use. (This could take awhile, but it’s also fun)
- When choosing a domain name, it’s important to use shorter, easy to type words and phrases. You also want to use keywords that are relevant to your blogging subject and memorable.
Step 2: Check to see if that domain name is available.
- I use Instant Domain Name Search because search results appear as I type, the site shows all available extensions for the domain, and it even offers alternative suggestions.
- When you search for a domain name, 1 of 3 things will happen:
- Option one and the best result: the name you want is available at regular price, congratulations! Purchase and move on to step 3.
- Not so happy option #1: The domain name IS available, but only for an INSANE price…. (see below)
- Not so happy option #2: The name isn’t available… sad but it definitely happens. Look at the available suggestions and see if you could use one of those, if not then just try again!
Step 3: Go to SiteGround to set up web hosting AND purchase your domain name
- Once you’ve chosen your name, you can buy it with just a few extra clicks if you choose web hosting through SiteGround. Talk about a timesaver!
- When you get to SiteGround, choose the hosting plan that works best for you. I personally use the GrowBig plan at only $5.95 per month. I chose this plan because of the extra features it offers and I can have more than one website for the same monthly fee!
- If you are just starting to build your blog and don’t have a lot of views yet, it is probably just fine to go with their cheaper hosting plan StartUp for $3.95 a month.
Now that you’ve got the first step out of the way, you can breathe a sigh of relief… no more procrastination because you’ve officially started your blog!!!
Thanks for reading!
– Renee Rose 🌹
Want to become a successful blogger?
If you're ready to take your blog to the next level, then you need the exclusive free content available only to email subscribers.
When you sign up, you will receive a copy of 10 Free Resources to Start or Grow Your Blog; a convenient list of free resources, complete with links (a few are affiliates), all on one handy page!!!